Tuesday, December 30

Operation Walküre: A Quick Look at Valkyrie, the motion picture, and the theatre where I watched it at


It’s a decent movie and is certainly not too shabby. This is especially true if you’re into Germany’s militaristic past.

The film’s supporting cast features quite a number of actors I recognize, and the Hitler in the film really does look like the real one! I loved the suspense created whenever the Führer appeared, and as expected, Tom Cruise’s acting was stupendous. I don’t think I’ll have to reveal the movie’s plot here, as you might most probably already be well informed about Stauffenberg’s failed coup d’état and plot against Hitler’s life.

The cinema itself was pretty underwhelming. I was actually expecting to watch Valkyrie in my area’s best theater. But for some reason or another, the theater was not featuring the movie there. Instead, I was told to saunter off to another nearby theater of a much lower prestige which did feature it. The theater looked eerily vacant, seemed run-down and still carried a 1980s aesthetic of having incandescent light bulbs emblazoned all over the entrance to attract viewers. However, my cinema room had a “Lucasfilm THX” logo proudly displayed just next to its entrance. At least I know that I’ll be getting a worthy cinematic experience.

On the contrary, I did not; the projector’s image was too large for the screen! In other words, the white screen left out a border on all 4 sides. Worse still, near the beginning of the presentation, the projected motion picture went awfully out of focus for a good 5 mins or so, requiring someone working for theatre to manually readjust the projector. When asked to rewind the film a little, that dude did not (I don’t think the projector is capable of doing so anyway). As a result, I missed a few minutes of the movie. What a bummer! Furthermore, a few of the seats were broken. I don’t expect them to be replaced in the foreseeable future anyway, for the theatre is simply not worthy for a renovation.

I think that THX metal plate has been there for quite some time already. It may have been placed there when THX went around certifying cinemas, and that was a long, long time ago. I just can’t believe that it’s still THX certified when almost everything has fallen into disrepair.

To sum up, I openly recommend you to catch this splendid movie. It’s too bad I couldn’t watch it the way I should have, but I do hope you will.

"Es lebe unser heiliges Deutschland!",
T’ang


(image from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie_(film))

No comments: