Monday, August 4

Edification--Überclok Reaktor Part 3

My PC has been officially released back to me on the 1st of August. But before I brought it home, I made certain that there were no more problems with the machine. After all, I do not have an automobile and I had to pull that hefty box back to the store. There’s no way I’m doing that again. After testing a few programs on it in the store, I was convinced that it was working in pristine condition. However, just when I was about to tie it back to my trolley, the salesman interrupted.

He said, “So, there will be a 100 dollar service fee. We charge a $50 per hour service charge for software problems.”

WHAT??! He never mentioned anything about a fee when I first sent my system for repairs. Also, my system is barely a few days old and it’s covered by warranty right?

“Yes, but that warranty only covers hardware, but not software,” he replied.

Oh my! What a nightmare! He is charging me 100 bucks for a simple reformat of a computer! Even slug heads can accomplish that task without much difficulty. Firstly, I didn’t know that the store will be charging me an exorbitant fee. If I did, I could have reformatted the computer myself. And how will I ever get to know that he really spent 2 full hours servicing my computer? Does a reformat really take that long? Even if it did, I’m sure that it was a slack job of just waiting for the drivers to reinstall while he drank a coffee or two.

After a lengthy period of disputation, the salesman agreed that I pay $70. Despite the “discount”, I was nonetheless infuriated.

Now, it looks like computer is running fine. No more flickering or Crossfire problems or anything of that sort. But for some peculiar reason, I still can’t run Condition Zero properly. I’ve ran 3DMark06 (a benchmarking software) twice yesterday. Once with Crossfire enabled and with it disabled on the other. Okay, at least I know Crossfire is functioning now. I got 16,000+ points on the first run and about 14,000 points with Crossfire disabled.

Sigh…

Well, lesson learnt: I will never patronize the store again. Thanks for nothing, Netlink Computers Inc!

I guess that concludes this article,
T’ang

Note: Photos of my system will be arriving shortly, perhaps after I install Photoshop.

No comments: