Friday, July 25

Hosed!--Überclok Reaktor Part 2

OK, that does it!

So I've finally gotten a hold of my sleek new PC. But guess what? I was bombarded by a series of problems when I first utilized it (what an entrance!). It was like facing a firing squad of obstacles. From Crossfire issues to game compatibility cases, all have seen their light of day.

For instance, when I fired up my newly installed Call of Duty 4, I was confronted by an obnoxious flicker on the menu. I thought maybe this is just a temporary glitch in my system. I hastily clicked on "New Game" and prepped to indulge myself with glorious eye-candy. As soon as I entered my character's HUD, the environment was flashing ceaselessly. OMG! Alright then, I quit the game and started up Command and Conquer 3 to see whether these artifacts were perpetual. Ah crap! The Earth animation in the game's main menu was FUBAR! All my other games had identical problems.

Later, I found that the flickering disappeared when I disabled Crossfire. When I brought my problem up to a forum, the members instructed me to download and install the latest graphic card drivers. However, my monitor blacked out completely during the installation, forcing me to retry and reboot my PC. This happened multiple times. But upon completing a successful install, my Crossfire was automatically disabled without my consent! Worse still, my graphic card control panel did not even detect that I had Crossfire, or a dual graphic card setup. It merely stated that I had one ‘Primary Adapter’ and one ‘Disabled Adapter’.

But the problems did not stop there. "Okay then," I mumbled to myself. "If my system can't handle new games (actually, it should have! As I configured this system specifically to handle such games!), let me lighten up by playing an instant action round of Counter Strike Condition Zero. After all, CS is a Vista Certified and graphically non-intensive game." This time round, the game crashed and closed as soon as I loaded up a match. After manipulating my graphics options, I soon found that I could only play when the graphics renderer was in software or Direct3D mode, but not in OpenGL. WTH! I’m sure that both OpenGL and Direct3D are both implemented in my display driver!

I did not expect my system to run Crysis at mind-bending frame rates. I did not expect Crossfire to render all games impeccably. But I did expect my system to run Counter Strike flawlessly.

Now, I’m through with attempting to solve my problems. I’ve spent 2 full days but it has all come down to nothing… NOTHING! So today, I’ve sent my system back to the store for 'servicing'. Hopefully the technicians will not take too long a length of time. As many of you may know, I’ve already waited an agonizing long, long time for my new computer.

The problems may be caused by a malicious file, or a faulty hardware device, or Microsoft Vista, or perhaps even due to my inexperience with the new operating system. Seriously, I have no idea. I’m pissed, totally pissed. I’ll see what the store can do, but till then, please excuse me while I go throw a tantrum and shriek for goodness’ sake.



Ah well… More waiting for me I guess,
T’ang


(Image from http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2326206,00.asp)

No comments: