Wednesday, May 14

When Iron Turns Platinum: A Review of the Iron Man Film

"Yeah. I can fly."

Spectacular! Absolutely dazzling! This is one superhero action flick that clearly sets itself apart from the competition. Previously, after I watched the trailers for the film, I predicted that the film will be just another average superhero movie, just like Fantastic Four and The Hulk (Ang Lee’s version. Not the upcoming one). Thus, I thought to myself nonchalantly, "why bother?" However, after many of my buddies have seen the film, rumor has it that the film is astoundingly good. Plus, movie ratings site Rotten Tomatoes actually presented it with a “FRESH” rating of over 92%! And the only way I could find out the truth behind all this, was to watch the film myself which I did today.

The movie features an affluent and brilliant ladies’ man Tony Stark, who builds an omnipotent exoskeleton for himself after a series of tragic events in Afghanistan. As expected, this superhero uses his suit to protect the people he put in harm’s way. Apparently, the Iron Man’s nemesis is his long-time business partner, who has secretly been selling Tony’s weapons to terrorist groups.

The panoply of mesmerizing visual effects never ceases to amaze! This applies particularly well to the F-22 Raptor chase scene, where the film ignites into a thrilling climax. Additionally, there is a close resemblance to the transformation of robots in another distinguished film, Transformers, where Tony Stark is seen suiting up in his new Mark III exoskeleton.

Besides, Tony Stark’s mansion somewhere on the coast in California is SO advanced. The pinnacle of his tech toys has got to be the holoprojector. He can even place his hand into the projection and design his suit’s components. Also, the automated windows that fade to black does a decent job in keeping his bedroom dark while he, ahem, does his thing. On a side note, I actually have the exact same arching lamp that Tony has in his living room, lol.

The Audi R8 featured notably in the film is so cool. Speaking of cars, wow! Tony has one huge myriad of supercars. He owns a Saleen S7, a Shelby Cobra, a Koenigsegg CCR and of course, his fabled R8. Too bad he crash lands on his Shelby though.

Oops, I’ve typed close to 400 words now. Forgive me, for I babble too much. Finishing up, I’d give Iron Man a worthy 4 out of 5. I eagerly anticipate the imminent 2nd and 3rd sequels!

Is it better to be feared, or respected?
T’ang

No comments: